God The Rewarder (Part 3)
Text: Hebrews 11:6
For you to get a special reward, you have to have done something that is worthy of a special reward.
You need to realise that there are general rewards and specific rewards. General rewards are those He gives to everybody (the son shines on everyone).
While specific rewards are those that are given to those who have done exceptional things that produce exceptional rewards.
Joseph was rewarded for living exceptionally well through difficult circumstances. He was betrayed by his own brothers and wrongfully accused by his master but he never became bitter. (Gen. 39:1-23)
Ruth chose to go to Bethlehem with Naomi when her husband died, she forsook her birth family, kinsmen, friends and gods. She received a full reward for her efforts (Ruth 2:12; 3:1; 4:13)
It is when you have a lifestyle like that of Joseph & Ruth, wherein you forsake your past and subjugate your desires and lifestyle to God’s Word & will that you get His reward.
It’s when you invest in seeking God diligently (that is looking for ways to seek God after His nature and character) that He will reward you.
If you seek to serve Him through man’s crooked lifestyle and nature, you won’t get a reward from Him. You need to make God’s recommended adjustments to your actions, decisions & lifestyles to qualify for His reward.
You cannot get God’s reward while you’re living like an Egyptian. It’s not enough for you to leave Egypt physically; Egypt has to leave your heart as well.
The Things That God Rewards (contd.)
3. Abraham’s Quick Learner Attitude (Gen. 14:18-24)
As we see from the passage above, Abraham learnt something new about God (that He is God Most High) just from his interaction with Melchizedek in vv 18-21
Areas in which Abram was a quick learner:
- He quickly recognised and submitted to spiritual authority (Gen. 14:18-20, Heb. 7:6-7)
- He quickly changed his language and attitude (Gen 14:22-23)
- He quickly changed his lifestyle in response to the things he learnt
- He immediately applied the things he learnt from Melchizedek, we should do the same in our lives. (Gen. 14:20)
- Prayer: Help us change our attitudes, language and lifestyle to align with Your character Lord. And as Your people make the necessary changes to their lives, let there be a release of Your reward to them today in Jesus’ name!
- Declaration: This week my people will receive breakthroughs, there is a 7-fold return for the things the enemy has stolen from you in Jesus’ name
- Declaration: This is your week of release in Jesus’ name!
- Declaration: May the LORD lift up His countenance upon you & bless you. You are above only!